Weekend scenes

Wednesday, May 28


I sometimes wonder what other people actually do for their weekends. You know what I did for my weekend? Everything I love, that's what. I rode my horse, I walked my dog, I started reading a new book, I finished said book, I took some photos, I drank some tea, I ate some great food and I got soaked in the downpour. 

I stayed up until the early hours of the morning and listened to my mother regale stories of her holiday. I waited up for her and we didn't stop talking until the exhaustion from her travelling across the globe hit her and we went to bed. On Sunday afternoon, the weather was glorious, I sat outside for a few minutes with every intention of scrolling through Pinterest for a few minutes, when a butterfly appeared. At first it flew around my face and then away, then it came back and landed on my knee, then my shirt, then my hand. This butterfly sat there for ages and every time it flew away, it would come back and settle even closer to me. I've always associated butterflies with happiness, 'Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but sit still and wait and it will rest softly on your shoulder'. If that isn't a sign to me I don't know what is. 

Do you know what else I did? I played in puddles with Grizzle for the best part of half an hour, in the pouring rain. The thunder was cracking ahead us and the fishermen, huddled under their umbrellas, stared at us intently, but we didn't care one bit. It was one of those weird rainy days when the downpour was so sudden that the sun was still shining through it all. Grizzle dug in the puddles while I splashed him, he ran after my feet as the water was so deep they were covered. He barked with excitement and I laughed. I stood there and marvelled at the world. I wore my leather fedora, my wax jacket and a pair of Dubarrys, yes, they're the uniform of most rural dwellers, but in that moment they were simple items to keep me laughing, to keep me having fun, to keep me living my life and making happy memories with a member of my family, whatever the god damn weather. Because I don't need the weather to be great, I just need to be able to dance in the rain. 

Oh, and I also ran around my back field communicating with the cows in my fox onesie, while Grizzle gave me some serious side eye.. but that's neither here nor there. What did you do?

4 note(s)..:

  1. This just sounds like the most perfect weekend! Well done on playing in the puddles - it has been far too long since I have done this and it is definitely one of the most fun things! Absolutely beautiful photos.

    As for me, I also finished and started a new book, I spring cleaned - a lot, I stayed in on Saturday and ate delicious Chinese food with the fiance and watched the Wolf of Wall Street, I saw old friends in Bucks and met a pub chicken in the pub garden and I had a massive Monday brunch. And also got soaked in the downpour!

    Beccy // Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh totally country feeling - really nice durin' stressful moments to have a place where to stop and just relax few minutes!;) Gorgeous pic's!:)

    Yours,
    NIKA Bittner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekend looks fab and I love the onesie! That combination of heavy rain and the sun filtering through the clouds is perfect, we just had 1 day of sun and 1 of rain over the weekend and spent it having a sort out and going to a christening, was lovely! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote about the butterfly, so very true indeed - life really is all about appreciating those little moments :)
    Also, high 5 to you gal for not always being serious and mooching around your garden in a onesie!
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete

Comments..

Made in Hunters All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger