Freedom. What does it mean to you?

Thursday, November 7


I recently read an extract on one of my favourite blogs (here) about what freedom meant to her, and it really stuck with me. I agreed with so many things that she said and i thought i would try and write what freedom meant to me. 

Freedom can be defined as being different for everyone but to me i have great opinions on what keeps me free. 

- I'm a country girl at heart, through and through, so if someone were to tell me i had to live in London for my career and hit the pavement every day i wouldn't do it. I couldn't do it. I can't imagine living in a world where there isn't a field to look out on or the only wildlife you are likely to see is an urban fox. As much as i love to visit, i will always be a visitor. 

- The outdoors is freedom to me. Breathing fresh, cool air into my lungs reminds me i'm alive. When the seasons change and the clocks make my five o'clock commute home a dark one it makes it that much harder to be outside. I walk Grizzle in the dark and i appreciate those weekend hours of sunlight that little bit more. I would quite happily live my life in a wooden cabin on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere because i crave the open air. 

- Switching off. This is going to sound hypercritical because i have a blog, instagram and a twitter account for said blog, but, i hate how reliant we have all become on technology. Any one of my friends will tell you that i hate facebook and i'm the worst texter in the world. I prefer to turn up at their house than reply to their text or failing that i call people instead. I hardly ever know where my phone is except when i'm working and if you want me on a Sunday your better to pop by than try and call me. Being away from technology is freedom to me. Has anyone noticed i'm never around at the weekend? The only reason i'm on here so often is because i work at a desk for most of the day. 

- A career with no barriers. I don't like offices. I don't like working for big companies. I've done it before and it dulled my spark until i was a clone. I hated it. Now i work for a small company run partly by my family and partly by another. I still work in an office and i don't like it. Up until recently i would say i loved my job to anyone who asked. I don't love it. But don't get me wrong, i do like it. I get to meet some interesting people and i'm good at what i do, but the main reason for me telling people i loved it was because it pays well and i get great perks from it. Now i'm on the road to throwing it all in for a career i really do LOVE. One that i am passionate about down to the ground, and one that will have me excited to go to work everyday. That is freedom to me. Spending my life as a desk jockey helping someone else build their dream is NOT. 

- Being at peace with myself. I meditate and do a lot of yoga. It helps my mind calm down and it helps me to put things into perspective. I'm naturally a laid back, positive person most the time and it takes a lot for me to get angry and stressed over something, but when i do the best thing for me is to take a minute, breath and calm myself. 

- Adventures. I'm an outdoorsy person, (you may be able to tell!) i'm not shy to sleep on the back of an old truck or a tent in the woods. Knowing that we as human beings live in this huge world that most of us never even see a part of saddens me. Who wouldn't want to explore the world? Maybe it's money related? But there are ways around that. I think there is always a way, if you really want it. One day i will buy a horse lorry and travel everywhere in it, just me, my dogs, a horse and my camera. Pitch up wherever we want and spend our days riding bareback across the countrysides with the dogs running along side us. 

- Horse riding. There is nothing that means freedom more to me than the feeling of galloping along anywhere on the back of a horse. 

I may not be able to express my feelings of freedom as well as she did but if a post like that stays with me then i feel i have to contribute. It can become to easy for us all to get so bogged down with what we think we need in our lives. The latest beauty product, that new jumper or those new shoes. Do we really need them? Of course we don't and ultimately will they make us happy? So i ask you what does freedom mean to you? 

4 note(s)..:

  1. Great post, love. I agree with you very much and I think we have a lot in common.
    I feel exactly the same way about a career in the city - people encourage me to head for london and make the most of my degree and do my legal training, but I will never be a city girl. I hate the city and I do my best to keep well away!!
    For me freedom is the fresh air and cold, and mountains and trees and big rivers. And quiet old houses and crackling fires. And the space to think and the time to do the things I want to, like read a book or write a book, or learn an instrument or climb a fell. I feel like work and cities and modern life gets in the way of these things, and if I'm honest I often feel like I work hard just so that I can have this kind of freedom eventually. Because this kind of freedom doesn't come for free!!

    Flora
    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can make the most of your degree without having to live in the city. People don't seem to realise the great career prospects that lie beyond those city limits. I think our idea of freedom is very much the same Flora xx

      Delete
  2. Love this! Can I join you in your bare back riding around the world? Great, thanks. That would be amazing! Maybe one day that will happen, but right now being a desk jockey it is. I do love the city though, it appeals to me. I love being close to things, but would kill to have a farmhouse with some land in the country. Perhaps I might have to move to a place like the UK to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Can I join you in your bare back riding around the world? Great, thanks. That would be amazing! Maybe one day that will happen, but right now being a desk jockey it is. I do love the city though, it appeals to me. I love being close to things, but would kill to have a farmhouse with some land in the country. Perhaps I might have to move to a place like the UK to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Comments..

Made in Hunters All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger